How to Setup Data4Action On Your Device?
Data4Action can be installed on tablets and/or mobile devices, and its free app. For complex data collection projects, its recommended to use tablet devices for better data collection experience. Data4Action application is available on Apple iOS and Google Play Stores. Click below icons to download Data4Action App.
How to Connect and Authenticate Your New Device with Your Survey Builder Account?
To link your data collection device to your survey, you need to have the Device Password (example: 764502). The Device Password is being used to link your data collection device(s) to your survey builder account. So that, you can assign your survey to your devices and start collection data. Your Device Password can be found on the Devices Tab – Survey Management Page.
Before start collecting data, you will need to connect and authenticate your device to your survey builder account. To authenticate your device, follow below steps:
- Open the Data4Action App.
- Select the Devices Tab
- Enter your Device Username. You can use any friendly username to identify your device. Device username is a friendly name for your device. For example, ABC INC iPad 2 or John Mobile. Device username is used to identify each device registered to your survey builder account
- Enter your Device Password. Password can be found on your Survey Builder account
- Tab on the Authenticate button
- You should see a Confirmation Message, saying that your device has been successfully authenticated
- Log in to your Survey Builder Account and Assign Survey to device
Repeat same steps for any device you need to use for collecting data
- Make sure that your device is connected to internet through WIFI or 3G/4G before authenticating.
- Device password can be used to connect several surveys to your survey builder account. In another word, each survey builder account has one device password to connect and authenticate several devices.
- After authenticating a device, you may need to refresh the Devices Page if you do not see your device listed.
- If you run large data collection projects, its recommended to label the back of each device with its Data4Action Device Username to avoid confusion between multiple devices and data collection team members.
How to Add and Remove Devices After A Survey Has Been Published?
You can add or remove devices at any time. There are no restrictions on adding and removing devices after publishing survey. Follow steps to add/remove devices from your survey builder account
- Login to your Survey Builder Account
- Click on Devices Tab
- Select or Deselect device from checkbox for each device
- Click on Assig Surveys button from left side sidebar
- Choose the survey you want to assign to device
- Click on Assig Surveys button
- Go to Data4Action App on your device and Download Survey
Can I Use Data4Action To Collect Data Without Having Internet Connection?
Yes, after your survey has been assigned and downloaded to your device, you can conduct surveys and collect responses on your device without having Internet connection on your device.
Responses to survey questions are stored on your device until you choose to upload them. If you prefer you can switch your device into Airplane mode to save battery life while conducting surveys.
Once your device has Internet connectivity you can upload the survey responses as a batch to the Data4Action server, accordingly your survey builder account will be updated.
How Many Results Can Be Stored on The Device?
You can store thousands of responses on your device. However, we recommend that you to keep uploading your survey results to the Data4Action server as soon as possible to not lose data.
How to Upgrade iOS on your Apple Device?
From time-to-time Apple releases iOS updates for your device. The iOS is the mobile operating system and the base software from Apple that allows all other apps to run on your Apple device. Your Apple device requires a minimum of iOS 6.1.1 to install the latest version of the Data4Action app.
How to Find out What Version of iOS your Device is Running?
- Open your device and select the Settings
- Select General from the list of Settings
- Select About
- The Version is listed on the about screen. For example, 6.1.1
How to Upgrade Data4Action App on your Device?
Data4Action is committed to make new releases and updates to the Data4Action App whenever is required. They are available for free download at the Apple App Store and Google Play Store. If you have an existing on-going survey already set up on your device, you do not need to upgrade the Data4Action app. However, if you are creating a new survey, we recommend that you first install the latest version of the Data4Action App.
How to Find Out What Version of Data4Action Is Installed on Your Device?
- Open Data4Action App
- Go to Options Tab
- Click on Advanced Options
- Go to System section, and Select Troubleshooting
- The Data4Action app version is displayed at the bottom. For example, version 2.8.20
If you are starting a new survey and upgrading to the latest Data4Action App you should also consider upgrading your device iOS.